Sunday, October 29, 2006

Stand and Deliver......

I never even heard of this movie since I know it is such an old movie anyway and most likely came out even before I had a VCR...now before you ask me if I still have a VCR, let me just tell you that this movie came out when no one had DVDs so now guess how old this movie is...the plasma TV was not even invented yet so now I have you there lol....

I had to watch this movie for this class I am taking and I finally watched it last night and loved it...very touching story about a Latino teacher teaching in an urban high school which is all Latinos as well. No, this is not a bilingual school neither since they all have to speak English. When I was once assigned to a Latino school here, I was speaking some Spanish and even wrote my greeting to the class in Spanish....I know some Spanish through my job experience....the children right away told me not to speak nor write anything on the board in Spanish since everyone there was required to speak English....mystery to me right there....?????.....lol....

Now back to the movie...this teacher goes into this school thinking he will teach computers and they tell him then that they couldn't get the computers so he is ready to walk out but they tell him that he has to teach remedial math...eeeekkkk...I hope I don't run into that too....but I just may and I changed my mind after watching this film....it showed unruly students with behavior issues who didn't want to be in school and they had too much responsibilities at home and some of the kids belonged to gangs but the teacher was able to reach them and make them learn and they really grew to like him....this makes me want to teach in a school like that once I get my certificate....this is also a true story....so it really happened and it is no work of fiction....

I think everyone should watch this movie and it is available at Blockbusters....

No comments: