Saturday, June 24, 2006

Different Types Of Flowers.....

I know I make a lot of entries on flowers here and my other blogs too....I can't help it since flowers is my thing and then I love to photograph them since my love affair is with photography and I have posted some of my own nature photos here......

I am also growing a garden of flowers this year from Bachelor Buttons to Petunias to Pansies and Geraniums to Selosias....I am even trying my hand at Lupins that are now starting to bud....I hope to have a bigger garden next year since I plan to lasagna early in the fall both in my front yard and back yard.....I am still debating whether to have a portable nursery for next Spring so that I can produce my own flaps from seeds instead of taking a chance in the ground for everything just from seeds...I may do that for the seeds that didn't germinate this year....

Maybe I should have worked for a florist or a nursery or even a horticulturist. I keep checking out places on the web for not only seeds and garden advice. I also check out online florists since they are very knowledgable about flowers. I have learned that there are so many types of summer blooms just perfect for wedding bouquets for those getting married or those who will be standing up in a wedding. Those same type of flowers can also be used for bouquets, centerpieces, and decorations. Lilies, orchids, daisies, and dahlias burst with colors, warmth and grace. I have a dahlia bush, daisies, and orchids although my dahlia flowers had a short life span this year but my daisies and orchids are doing good. One of the best colors for summer wedding flowers is a white color that is airy or solid.

Regardless of which one flower one chooses, all summer flowers are very decorative. Now take the *Calla Lilies* These are funnel-shaped and very elegant and they aren't really a flower at all, but a large horn-shaped extension of the stem, called a spathe, which ranges from 6" to 9" in length. They are mostly available from March through June and come in a small variety of colors that range from pure white to orange to dark magenta. They are also very popular for wedding bouquets as well as for centerpieces, or for bridesmaids to carry in a wedding. Then there is also the *Dendrobium Orchids* now these are delicate, six-petaled tropical flowers and they are least expensive during the months from April to August. They are also vailable in a variety of colors from simple to very much exotic. The dendrobiums make excellent additions to a woman's hair, corsages and boutonierres. Also one can sprinkle their petals over tables, down the aisle, or add to centerpieces for a wonderful floral arrangement. Then there are *Dahlias* that are vailable in a variety of rich colors and easiest to get in the summer and early fall. I can attest to the fact that these excellent blooms with large petals. I mean theses flowers are huge and beautiful and they make great centerpieces and pew decorations, and are also great for bouquests. I will now talk about the *Daisy* that blooms from May to July. Mine are just blooming now. Daisies have always been used as wedding flowers since represent hope, purity, and innocence. They can aslso mixed with green colors in a bridal bouquet and placed in bud vases for wonderful centerpieces, or be even used in bouquets for the bridesmaids. I would always recommend one to use daisies for a summer wedding. I must now mention the *Chrysanthemum* which I just learned is the Daisy's spiny-bloomed cousin. They Chrysanthemum is mostly available during the hot months of summer. I guess I can still plant those if I want since I still have room in my garden. These flowers have narrow petals and they also come in a very large variety of color. They also look exquisite in bouquets, centerpieces, and decorations. Last but least is the *Baby's Breath*. All the stems have tiny white blossoms and these flowers can be used as a fillers for bouquets, centerpieces, corsages, and boutonierres.

Most florists carry have the Baby's Breath all year around but if one would rather do their own flowers or prefer to choose from their own garden, the baby's breath goes in full bloom in a personal garden from May through August.

For those who prefer to use florists and for those who don't have a garden, I highly recommend Dot Flowers. They provide flower delivery all over the country and it is one of the easiest way to buy flowers online. DotFlowers.com offers a large variety of flower arrangements and gift baskets at the great prices. From what I have heard, they also provide excellent customer service, beautiful flowers and quick delivery times. If I had to send flowers to another state I would trust them since I am so sure whoever receives them would be very happy with the flower arrangement.

No comments: