Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Mystery Of The Hope Diamond....

Since I am now off my regular job for the summer, there is so much I can now do that I normally cannot do during the off summer months....I have my gardening, my crafts, my blogging, my family, my photohobby and then I have some mandatory things that have to be done like resizing my rings....one of the rings I was looking at is my diamond engagement ring that I recieved many years back...it is just so beautiful and it got me thinking to the day when I was given that ring just a few days after DH proposed to me.

Now I do have a weakness for sappy love stories and I was also thinking of the Hope Diamond since the sequel to the Titanic is coming soon even though there is a controversy surrounding Leo Decaprio since his characted died in the first one...the one scene that moved everyone in the world.....several months later one of the jewelry that was popularily sold was a blue rhinestone necklace with a big blue rhinestone in the center.....

Now since one of my crafts include beadwork and jewelry making someone left behind one of those necklaces and never came back to collect it and I was making every effort to track the owner....someone just said to give it up and save it for myself and I felt guilty on this but then I had project ideas on this on how I could make an excellent necklace on this....I never did anything yet but I still get to thinking about the Hope Diamond.....I did a little research on this gem and found the following information.....

There is a legend in India that when the large blue diamond was stolen from an idol in India, a curse fell on not only for the owner of the diamond but for all who touched it. The curse held bad luck and death. This legend originally began with a theft. It all started many centuries ago when a man named Tavernier travelled to India. While he was there, he stole a large blue diamond from the forehead (or eye) of a statue of the Hindu goddess Sita. After this happened according to the legend, Tavernier was mauled by wild dogs when he was visiting Russia. This happened after he had sold the diamond. This blue diamond or otherwise known as the Hope diamond had many people intrigued for centuries. This diamond's perfect quality, large size, and rare color make it excitingly unique and beautiful.

Then this diamond has quite a bit of history that includes being possessed by King Louis XIV, stolen during the French Revolution and then sold to earn money for gambling.

When the Hope diamond went on sale again back in 1949, it was bought by a New York jeweler by the name of Harry Winston. Winston had others wear the diamond to balls to raise money for charity. There are people who believe that Winston wanted to get rid of the Hope diamond so that he would not be affected by the deadly curse. Mr. Winston actually donated the Hope diamond to the Smithsonian Institution back in 1958 only because he believed in helping to create newly established gem collection as well as to inspire others to donate.

There is one great place to buy great diamond rings for those who want to buy rings online and it is located in the world famous diamond district of Manhattan, New York. They say that one never has to pay retail prices again...they have many customers who have purchased their wide selection of Diamond Jewelry and you can even read about some testimonials on their website here http://www.primestyle.com/testimonials.html.

Now let us hope that I have no curse on me because I have a blue rhinestone necklace that looks just like the one on The Titanic......

No comments: